An ideal role for students who are considering becoming teachers or working with young people in the future.
The Widening Participation team run a variety of programmes specifically designed for school and college students who are least likely to pursue Higher Education. They employ Student Ambassadors to impart their first-hand knowledge about life at university to students ranging from Primary school Year 5 and Year 6 right through to sixth formers in Year 12.
The role offers the opportunity for students to expand their skills in various ways, they can:
- Develop their rapport with young people and run interactive activities during Year 8 Visit days to campus.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to large groups of students and parents.
- Assist with evaluation and monitoring data collection.
- Expand their communication skills by tailoring information to specific audiences including parents
- Supervise during taster days and weeks on campus. Responsible for the safety of small groups.
The role requires students who are enthusiastic about the subject area they study.
Any queries about this role please email: email@example.com
Please note: the UK Student Recruitment team, along with individual schools and faculties across QMUL also recruit student ambassadors – these roles are advertised separately.
This scheme is flexible; projects are offered to ambassadors as and when they are available. Some projects offer consistent hours over a number of weeks while other projects are one off activities. Successful candidates are contracted for six months. No ambassador is required to work a set amount but we expect all ambassadors to have the availability to work 3 times each term. We respect that students are juggling their studies and place priority upon this. We ask applicants to consider their ability to manage their time effectively. Applicants must maintain attendance of lectures etc. and be meeting all academic deadlines throughout the year.
Open to all current QMUL students.
We are also looking for a student who is a keen photographer to take photos at our events, please indicate in your personal statement if you are applying for this position, explain your interest/experience and confirm the make of camera you own.
Applications for 2018-19 are now open. If you have any questions about these roles please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Once you start the application form it is not possible to save and return.
You will be asked three questions. It is advisable to prepare your answers to these questions in a word document before beginning the application form:
- Why is Widening Participation to Higher Education important?
- The Widening Participation department delivers activities such as Taster Weeks, Visit Days to Campus, Skills workshops and Shadowing Days. At school/college did you participate in or help to deliver any similar activities? Please tell us about your experience and what you learned from it.
If you have not participated in any such activity in the past (either as a participant, staff member or volunteer), please explain why you think these activities are useful to school and college students
- Referring to the essential criteria listed on the Person Specification in the Job Description- please provide examples of the experience you have which evidence that you have the essential experience and skills required for this role.
For example, you may wish to have subheadings for each criterion i.e. 'Flexible and willing to take part in a variety of roles' "For two years I worked in retail at X store, whereby I was required to etc.’
- Applications close on Tuesday 25th September 2018 at 5pm.
- Interviews are being held during the afternoon of Wednesday 3rd October 2018.
- Unpaid Training is being held on Saturday 13th October 2018. This will be a full day of training most likely 9:30am – 4:30pm. A food voucher will be provided (for use on another day as catering is unavailable on a weekend).
The dates of interview and training are non-flexible. If you are unable to attend either of these dates please do not submit an application.