Top tips for job hunting:
- There is no one way to find a job. Trying various methods will increase your chances of success.
- Find out where to look for vacancies. Different industries will have different ways of recruiting. Politics and journalism, for example, tend to recruit through speculative applications and networking.
- See our ‘Getting into’ guides for industry specific information.
- The careers website prospects contains industry insights, and job profiles with advice on entering the industry.
- Ask people in the industry where and how they recruit and how to start a career in that field. This can be in person at events, or online using LinkedIn or Twitter.
- Take time to plan. Just as you plan before starting an essay, make sure you use your time effectively when you job-hunt by using an organised approach.
- Know what you are looking for. It will be difficult to find suitable roles if you are not really sure what it is you want to do. See our information on making career choices and book an appointment to see a careers consultant to explore your options.
- Be proactive. Up to 60% of jobs never get advertised. Finding unadvertised opportunities by contacting employers you would be interested in working for, can be a very effective method of getting work. Success levels are greater is you have already built up contact with the organisation through networking.
If you are thinking about working abroad visit the Going Global portal for vacancies and recruitment information. If you have secured an internship in France or Spain you may be required to complete a Convention de stage document.
Whilst you are job hunting, look at job descriptions for roles you are interested in, to see what skills employers are looking for. Are there ways that you can develop these skills and experience in the meantime to improve your chance of success in the future?
Consider creating opportunities for yourself. This can be through volunteering, starting a blog, or taking a course for example - see the factsheet '10 ways to get experience and get ahead'.
If you are not finding the jobs you are interested in, or aren't getting a response from recruiters, book an appointment to see a Careers Consultant.
Find out more
Visit Target Connect to register for any of the events below.