What is QMentoring?
QMentoring connects undergraduates, from the Faculties of Science & Engineering and Humanities & Social Sciences, with a member of the QMUL alumni community, or a UK-based professional. Through these one-to-one relationships, students are supported to make better informed career choices, develop their employability skills, and gain confidence with applying for graduate job roles.
What are the benefits?
QMentoring can help you to:
- Access careers support from an experienced professional;
- Gain insight to an industry or profession;
- Explore potential career paths;
- Build a professional network;
- Learn how to write persuasive job applications, CVs and covering letters;
- Improve your interview technique;
- Find and apply for work experience opportunities (including shadowing, internships and part-time work).
What is expected of you?
As a mentee, you will be required to:
- Attend an induction session, launch event and end of scheme celebration;
- Be committed to attending a minimum of 6 meetings with your mentor, between June to September 2018;
- Maintain a proactive approach to the mentoring relationship and ensure you are regularly communicating with your mentor;
- Provide updates to the QMentoring team (when requested) and inform them if there are any issues with the partnership;
- Complete a pre-mentoring survey and end of scheme evaluation;
- Adhere to the Code of Conduct all at times.
Who is eligible for a place?
QMentoring is a programme for undergraduate students who study within the Faculties of Science & Engineering and Humanities & Social Sciences. Due to funder objectives (1), students from these two Faculties, who are in receipt of the QMUL Bursary, will be prioritised for this programme. Students from any year can apply for a place, as long as they are an undergraduate.
(1) QMUL is committed to ensuring all students achieve their full potential and has allocated substantial resources to this through the Access Agreement it holds with the Office for Fair Access (OFFA). Therefore, a number of student support and progression programmes are targeted at students from groups currently underrepresented in higher education.
How to apply:
QMentoring takes place twice a year: October to April and June to September.
Applications are now open for the summer round, which will be taking place from June to September 2018. See the application form here.
How can I learn more?
If you have any questions about QMentoring, please do not hesitate to contact the team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 020 7882 3690.