The following are a list of resources for PhDs and Postdoctoral Researchers seeking roles beyond academia.
www.beyondthephd.co.uk A website for Arts and Humanities PhD students containing careers advice and career profiles.
www.vitae.ac.uk What do Researchers do? A study showing the first destinations of PhD students graduating between 2003 and 2007, broken down by subject. Also contains a series of career profiles from people with PhDs.
Leaving Academia Information leaflet detailing career ideas and opportunities outside academia.
University Careers Beyond Research Information leaflet containing career ideas for individuals that are thinking of leaving research.
The Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry: Useful resource or those wanting to work in the pharmaceutical industry.
British Pharmacological Society: Industry news and events, plus job listings and career information for pharmacology
Institute of Clinical Research: Industry news and events, plus job listings, career information and case studies for various roles in clinical research
PSCI-COM (discussion list) for science communication and public engagement with science
Job hunting websites
- Indeed Lists academic and non-academic jobs from a variety of websites
- Jobs In Science
- New Scientist Jobs
- PhD Jobs
- Jo Brodie’s Blog (lists numerous vacancies including medical charities and many other scientific organisations)
- Society of Biology Jobs Board
- Biomedical Science Jobs
- NHS Careers
- University of Kent Science Recruitment Agencies
Physics and Engineering
- psci-com (free) Discussion forum
- ABSW (£20/£26/£30 annual fee)
- Stempra (£15 annual fee)
- List of sites advertising science communication jobs (Jo Brodie’s blog)
- NMSI (Museum Recruitment Site)