What is QConsult Commercial?
QConsult Commercial builds on Queen Mary University of London’s award-winning employability programme. It places a diverse range of exceptional QMUL students into mini consultancy projects in local businesses. Local organisations are able to solve a business challenge while providing a meaningful opportunity where students can use their skills, fulfil their potential and develop their social capital.
Businesses provide a team of students with a short project brief outlining the details of a particular business challenge. Past QConsult projects have involved researching and analysing information, looking into improvements around marketing and business development, product development, and reviewing policies and processes.
The student teams work on the project for a specified amount of time, after which they present their findings and recommendations to the business. While conducting their projects the students receive advice, training and support around project management and presentation skills from the QMUL Careers & Enterprise team.
Why host a QConsult Commercial project?
The benefits of hosting a QConsult Commercial project include:
• Access to a subsidised and low cost additional resource for your organisation that will allow you to tackle problems that you may not have had the resources or time to work on in the past.
• A limited time commitment from you as the students are trained and supported throughout their project by our careers staff.
• The opportunity to benefit from the skills, knowledge and enthusiasm of high-achieving students from a world-class university.
• The programme functions as a cost-effective means of trialling potential future employees. 71% of hosts said they would consider recruiting from their student team and some have gone on to offer students jobs.
• It’s a unique means for your organisation to make a positive impact on the prospects of young people in the local community. 100% of students reported 6 months later that their project work had a lasting impact on their employability.
What do host businesses need to provide?
• Cost - The service comes at a very low cost to businesses. Large businesses pay the full price of £850+VAT for 100 hours of work. SME’s receive a 24% discount and pay just £645 + VAT for a total of 100 hours work. This cost, combined with match funding from Queen Mary University of London, enables each student participant to be paid London Living Wage for their work. This ensures the scheme complies with National Minimum Wage legislation and Queen Mary’s London Living Wage policy and that all of our students, whatever their background, can participate.
• Your staff time - We ask that each QConsult Commercial host allocates a contact person for the student team. This person will be well briefed by a member of the Careers & Enterprise team. They will be asked to be available (by email/phone) to respond to queries from their Student Project Coordinator for the duration of the project period and attend one mid project check-in meeting.
What previous hosts say:
‘I enjoyed the overall experience of hosting the QConsult Project. I really liked working with young minds and wish them a successful journey ahead. The programme helped us to get introduced to some good potential talent.’ – Raahil Burhaani, Managing Director, Pentalumen
‘It was more than we were hoping for. We set the standard high and they delivered. The project has contributed to the development of our business. They delivered a very useful report and advice we can work with. We can use their findings in a lot of big projects.’ – Vincent Wijdeveld, Operations Manager, Launch 22
‘The students delivered and the data analysis was even more impressive than what we hoped for. It gave us the resources at a crucial point in our growing venture. QConsult is good value for money for SMEs to outsource chunks of their work.’ - Anthony Jones, CEO, Plan Brothers
‘The students’ enthusiasm for the project was clear. The project was completely alien to them but they took it on and used their knowledge to form innovative ideas- this showed hard work. It was very impressive that the students put so much time into the project, alongside their degree and part time jobs- what they produced was excellent’ – Danxi Min, St. John’s Lab
You can read a selection of business case studies here.
Find out more
If you’re interested in joining our award-winning programme, email the Programmes Manager Lindsey Shirah on email@example.com or phone 020 7882 6923.