Internships, placements and work experience opportunities have obvious advantages to participating students, but they can also be greatly beneficial to your business:
- Allowing you to access a talented workforce on a short term basis, enabling you to pursue projects that you may not otherwise have the time or resources for.
- Gaining a fresh perspective and ideas for your organisation.
- Bringing the latest academic knowledge into your department/organisation.
- Plugging a skills shortage – gain specific skills from the student or graduate that are required on a temporary basis.
- Assisting with your future recruitment processes, as interns and temps often end up in full time employment with an organisation they worked with as a student.
- Building long lasting links with the Queen Mary community.
Queen Mary has a number of ways to help you fill a vacancy of this type:
QConsult builds on Queen Mary’s award-winning employability programme. It places a diverse range of exceptional QMUL students into mini consultancy projects in local businesses and charities. Organisations are able to solve a business challenge while providing a meaningful opportunity where students can use their skills, fulfil their potential and develop their social capital.
For more details click here or email the Programme Coordinator, Ingrid Duffin at email@example.com
QConsult, School of Business & Management
QConsult works with organisations to find discrete consultancy projects that our Business Management undergraduate and postgraduate students can undertake. Working in small teams, the QConsultants work on a brief provided by the client organisation in and normally focus on research or process orientated tasks. Meeting with the client, the QConsult team then makes recommendations to the business which can then be taken forward internally, or via our QIntern or QTemps services.
This can provide a cost effective solution to solving a business problem that ordinarily your staff would not be able to undertake. Please email Helen Green at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
QInterns is our service placing QMUL students and recent graduates in short paid internships in both small to medium enterprises, and large organisations. Our dedicated team of Internship Coordinators can assist you with writing a job specification and advert, marketing the role to our students and graduates, sifting applications and advising you on the interview and selection process.
QTemps is our professional recruitment agency offering a specialised and tailored service to both students and employers. It places students in both temporary and permanent positions working with organisations looking to hire from Queen Mary. Its aim is to provide a personal and high quality employment solution for students and employers.
QTemps offer employers:
- A dedicated database for students to register and apply for jobs
- Access to over hundreds of students and graduates
- Free vacancy advertising
- Ability to target specific skills for your positions
- Shortlisting of candidates
- Interviewing of candidates
- Verifying applicants' right to work
- Efficient recruitment at a low cost
QTemps has access to thousands of current students and recent graduates ready for work in a wide range of industries and occupations: from admin and catering assistants to scientific research and web development.
For further details, please contact 0207 882 6151 or email@example.com
Year Long Placements
Queen Mary currently has dedicated Placement Courses within the School of Electronic Engineering & Computer Science, School of Engineering & Materials Science, and School of Economics & Finance.
These long term (usually 10 month) accredited positions are a great way to support students, and have a positive impact on your business as well as building strong research links with the institution.
To find out more about taking a student on a placement year please contact Crawford Blagden (SEMS): firstname.lastname@example.org, Claire Revell (EECS): email@example.com or Emanuela Nova (SEF): firstname.lastname@example.org
Policies & Code of Conduct
Queen Mary Careers and Enterprise are happy to advertise all genuine job or work experience opportunities that are fully compliant with UK employment legislation, including the National Minimum Wage Act, and are in line with National Minimum Wage & National Living Wage.
We require all employers advertising job or work experience opportunities to pay the National Minimum Wage unless covered by one of the exemptions allowed by the Act.