The QMentoring scheme connects current students, from the Faculties of Science & Engineering and Humanities & Social Sciences, with a member of our alumni community, or a UK based professional. Our mentors are all successful professionals who volunteer to support students by providing first-hand insight and experience into their business or industry.
The scheme is designed to help students to make better informed career choices, build professional networks and potentially gain work experience. As a mentor, you can help our students to explore potential professions and industries, and become more aware of wider career opportunities by drawing upon your own experiences.
Benefits of becoming a mentor
- Reflect on own work practice
- Enhance your professional development by acquiring new skills
- Gain a fresh perspective and potentially implement new ideas
- Become involved with the University in a practical way
- Learn about the challenges and expectations students have at the start of their careers
- Contribute to your company’s corporate social responsibility profile
Benefits for the student
- Access to support from an experienced professional
- Opportunity to start building a professional network
- Learn how to write persuasive job applications, CVs and covering letters
- Acquire skills needed to perform well in an interview
- Improved confidence and ability to effectively communicate skills to potential employers
- Where possible, participation in work experience
- A minimum of three years professional experience
- Able to commit to supporting a student for 6 months on a voluntary basis (we ask mentors to have contact with mentees for a minimum of 1 hour per month)
- A genuine interest in helping students to set and achieve career goals
- An email address, telephone number or Skype address that can be shared with a mentee
Our 3 month summer programme will be taking place from June to August 2017. Further details will be announced in due course.
If you would like to find out more about QMentoring, please contact Louisa Chastney, QMentoring Coordinator, on 020 7882 3690 or email email@example.com